Thank you to Maxine @ The Rogue Storyteller for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! One of the best parts of blogging is the community of like-minded souls, and it is nice to know that I bring “sunshine” to someone’s day!
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions set by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and then write 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger award logo in a post/on your site.
1. What fictional universe would you like to live in if given the chance?
That is a tough one. It has to be a fictional universe that doesn’t involve a mass number of people getting killed off, so Game of Thrones is out. I think my choice will have to be fairly standard…the magical world of Harry Potter!! Post-Voldemort, of course.
2. Where are your top three travel destinations?
I will break this into two: places I have been and places I would like to visit. Top three travel destinations that I have already visited:
- Kyoto, Japan
- Madras/Chennai, India
- South Island, New Zealand
Top three places I would like to visit someday:
- Great Pyramids of Egypt
3. Describe your reading habits in as few words as possible.
4. What do you like most about your favorite book?
My favorite book of all-time is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. My favorite books are ones that have changed me. It’s not that I just remember this book with fondness, it fundamentally altered who I am the first time I read it. You know how you happen to come across a book at a certain time in your life, and it is exactly what you need, and in a way, changes everything? The Handmaid’s Tale is that book for me. It influenced me to further research some of the inspiration behind the storyline (her famous quote regarding the tale, “There’s nothing in the book that hasn’t already happened” really struck a chord). That research led to more research, and eventually a study abroad adventure, change in major, and a life-time focus on human rights, especially women’s rights.
5. If you could get a book related tattoo, what would it be? (stealing this from Katy)
It would probably be something like this, from Alice in Wonderland:
6. What book or book series do you think could have been a major hit if it had just a little more oomf?
This one is really hard! Out of books I have read recently, I am going to go with The Blazing Star by Imani Josey. There were so many incredible components, this one came so close in my opinion to being an incredible book, but ultimately falling short.
7. Have you ever read a book in a language different to your native one?
Sadly, I am mono-lingual. I have read many books in translation, if that counts.
8. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
“She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.”
Yes, I am being cheeky. Never thought I would quote Mitch McConnell. #Resist #Persist
9. What would you like to see more of in YA fiction?
10. What kind of music/which artists do you like to listen to when you’re happy?
Sia, Beyonce, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Neko Case, Lady Gaga, U2, Outkast, Florence and the Machine, Pink, Cindi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley
11. If you were a book character, what genre would you most likely be found in?
Everyone! If you haven’t been tagged for the Sunshine Blogger Award, and want to participate, consider yourself tagged. You ALL bring me sunshine!
- What book brings you joy?
- If you have a book that you re-read often, what is it?
- What is the most unusual thing you have ever eaten? Where were you when you ate it?
- Where are you from, and what is a common stereotype about your hometown/state/country?
- What is you favorite childhood book?
- Who is your favorite author, and why?
- If a movie comes out that is based on a book, do you have to read the book before going to see the movie?
- What is your favorite quote?
- What are you most grateful for in your life right now?
- Do you write or underline in your books? Take notes?
- If you could meet three fictional characters, who would they be?