October was a fairly decent reading month for me, despite the crazy busyness going on now at the end of the month.
Number of books I read this month: 6
TOP THREE BOOKS I READ THIS MONTH
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab – Review here.
- Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty – Review here.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson – Review here.
OTHER BOOKS I READ THIS MONTH
- Leave Me by Gayle Forman – Review here.
- Gilded Cage by Vic James – ARC review here.
- Little Girls Can Be Mean: Four Steps to Bully-proof Girls in the Early Grades by Michelle Anthony. I did not review this one, and I probably won’t. Little Girls Can Be Mean appears on som many parenting reading lists. More than anything, it shows how little is actually out there for parents on the topic of female social conflicts and bullying in the elementary years. Rating: 2/5 stars.
I was not able to read any more books beyond my progress update from last week, so I will use that as my wrap-up post as well. You can find my update on the Halloween Read-a-thon here. Thank you to Lauren at @Wonderless Reviews for hosting this fun challenge!
YEAR-LONG TBR CHALLENGE
I participate in this challenge over at LibraryThing, but I thought it would be nice to move my list onto my blog as well.
Completed: 14/24. I always aim for 12, with anything extra an added bonus!
1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald FINISHED 22 February 2016
2. Roots by Alex Haley – Review here. FINISHED 21 September 2016
3. Native Son by Richard Wright
4. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier – Review here. FINISHED 30 August 2016
5. War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa
6. A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes FINISHED 21 April 2016
7. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson – Review here. FINISHED 11 Oct 2016
8. My Antonia by Willa Cather FINISHED 6 June 2016
9. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri FINISHED 27 January 2016
10. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri FINISHED 17 January 2016
11. John Adams by David McCullough
12. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami FINISHED 16 May 2016
1. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan FINISHED 25 April 2016
2. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler FINISHED 13 June 2016
3. Dawn by Octavia Butler
4. Autobiography: Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma Gandhi
5. Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk
6. The Algebra of Infinite Justice by Arundhati Roy
7. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle FINISHED 7 July 2016
8. The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd
9. Standing Alone by Asra Nomani FINISHED 6 January 2016
10. Cataloochee by Wayne Caldwell FINISHED 15 April 2016
11. The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad – Reading now.
12. Fasting, Feasting by Anita Desai
What was the best book that you read in October? How do your reading plans look for November? Happy Halloween!